Bridgewater, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team split a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) double headers with the Bears of Bridgewater State this afternoon at Alumni Park as the Falcons dropped the opener, 4-3 before securing the split with a 7-0 triumph in the nightcap.
Score: Fitchburg State 3, Bridgewater State 4 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 7, Bridgewater State 0 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (18-7, 9-2 MASCAC) I Bridgewater State (9-14, 6-6 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Bridgewater State took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first as senior Dominic Precopio (Framingham, Mass.) singled to score newcomer Ruben Gonzalez (Stoughton, Mass.) before Fitchburg State knotted the score (1-1) in the top of the third when sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) drove in junior Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.).
The Falcons regained the lead (2-1) in the fourth with freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) notched an RBI on a sacrifice fly to center. The Bears would take the lead back in the bottom of the fifth when junior Jonathan Livolsi (Bridgewater, Mass.) connected on a two-run double down the right field line for the 3-2 edge.
The Green and Gold would tie the contest again at 3-3 in the top of the seventh as Cordeau was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to plate Lefebvre, but Bridgewater State took game one, scoring the game winning run in the bottom the eighth when Gonzalez singled on a bunt to bring home David Skiendiel (Norton, Mass.) from third, resulting in the 4-3, game one final.
Fitchburg State grabbed a 5-0 margin in the top of the first as senior Noah Milliard (Leominster, Mass.), Eramo and junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) registered RBI's, while junior Alexander Bissanti (Franklin, Mass.) added a two-run single to right center.
The Falcons extended their advantage (7-0), scoring a run each in the fifth and sixth frames when junior Brennan Cuddahy (Leominster, Mass.) singled to right to plate Eramo, while newcomer Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.) added a sacrifice fly.
- 88th meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 26-62 vs the Bears
- Cordeau led the way for the Falcons in game one with a pair of RBI
- Gonzalez went 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI for the Bears
- Ryan Towle (Westfield, Mass.) took a no decision for Fitchburg State, allowing three runs (1 earned) on three hits with seven K's in 4.2 innings of work
- Jarrett Archambault (Seekonk, Mass.) went five innings, giving up two runs on two hits with four strikeouts in a no decision for Bridgewater State
- Bissanti hit 1-for-2 with two RBI for the Green and Gold in the night cap
- Lewis Robinson (New Britain, Conn.) finished 2-for-2 for the Bears
- Tommy Parsons (Peabody, Mass.) picked up the win for Fitchburg State, yielding just three hits with nine K's in the complete game effort
- Tyler Dasilva-Medeiros (Taunton, Mass.) put forth a solid effort for Bridgewater State, giving up two runs (1 earned) on three hits with three strikeouts over two innings of relief.
Falcons will travel to MCLA on Tuesday to take on the Trailblazers for a MASCAC bout, starting at 3:30 PM. Bears will visit Gordon College on the same date for a non-conference tilt at 3:30 PM.