Franklin, Mass. - The Fitchburg State University baseball team picked up its first win on the season, defeating the Bulldogs of Dean College, 7-6 in 11 innings this afternoon at the Longley Athletic Complex.
Score: Fitchburg State 7, Dean 6
Records: Fitchburg State (1-2) I Dean (0-2)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 4-0 lead in the top of the second as junior Emanuel Giumarra (South Salem, N.Y.) drew a bases loaded walk to bring home senior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) before sophomore Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) also worked a bases loaded walk that scored senior Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.).
Dean cut the deficit to 4-1 in the bottom half of the second with junior Jeff Shamick (Stanford, Conn.) singling to left center, moving to second on a base hit off the bat of senior Andrew DiRito (Plymouth, Mass.) and crossing the plate on an RBI double from junior Landon Fish (New Port Richey, Fla.).
The Bulldogs knotted the score (4-4) in the bottom of the sixth when DiRito singled to left center to plate junior Brian Hadden (Newburyport, Mass.), while sophomore Matthew Troy (Norwalk, Conn.) and newcomer Brian Davidio (Ramsey, N.J.) added a bases loaded hit by pitch and walk.
The Falcons regained the lead in the top of the eighth with Giumarra singling to left field that drove in Pingitore for the 5-4 edge. Dean would grab the lead back in the bottom half of the frame as Troy connected on an RBI single, while freshman Andrew Sullivan (Agawam, Mass.) added a sacrifice fly for the 6-5 advantage.
The Green and Gold retied the contest (6-6) in the top of the ninth Eramo reaching on an infield single, advancing to second on a ground and coming around to score on a base hit from Pingitore. Fitchburg State secured the victory in the top of the 11th inning when junior Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) led off with base hit to right, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and crossed the plate as junior Zachary May (Rochdale, Mass.) delivered an RBI sacrifice fly, resulting in the 7-6 final.
By The Numbers
- Second meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 1-0-1 vs the Bulldogs
- Pingitore led the way for the Falcons, going 4-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored
- Giumarra added two hits and pair of RBI for Fitchburg State
- Troy finished 2-for-5 with an RBI for the Bulldogs
- Shamick hit 2-for-5 with two runs scored for Dean
- Freshman Taryn Laramie (Franklin, Mass.) collected his first collegiate win for Fitchburg State, allowing just two hits with three K's in 1.2 innings of work
- Junior Gaten Davis (Anchorage, Alaska) took the loss for Dean , yielding one run on three hits with two strikeouts over one inning pitched
- Fitchburg State head coach Shawn Manfredo earns his first collegiate coaching victory
Falcons will open its annual spring trip to Florida on Sunday as they take on the Nittany Lions of Penn State-Abington for a non-conference contest, starting at 5:30 PM. Bulldogs will travel to Wilson College on the same date for non-conference double header with a 1:00 PM first pitch.