D'Acchille Connects on Extra Point
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University football team fell to the Rams of Framingham State University 56-7 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 7, Framingham State 56
Records: Fitchburg State (1-5, 0-4 MASCAC) | Framingham State (3-2, 3-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
In a messy first frame which saw five turnovers between the two teams, Framingham State held a 7-0 advantage after one period. Rams signal caller senior Adam Wojenski (Stratford, Conn.) connected with wide receiver Emmanuel Exithomme (Roslindale, Mass.) on the inside slant for a 9-yard score.
The Rams doubled the lead when Wojenski scampered 19-yards to the endzone early in the quarter. Freshman Daniels Lathum (Riga, Latvia) with the extra point and the 14-0 lead.
The Falcons defense held strong holding the Rams scoreless to end the half. With the Rams 1st and 10 from the Falcons 12-yard line with just under a minute to play the Green and Gold held the visitors to three incomplete passes to keep the game 14-0 headed to intermission.
The Rams opened the second half with a quick score, on 3rd down Wojenski found a streaking William Jean (South Boston, Mass.) down the right sideline for a 62-yard reception and a 21-0 score.
Trailing 35-0, the Falcons put together their best offensive drive. In just over four minutes the team went 65-yards on eight plays culminating when senior quarterback Connor Fitzsimons (Flushing, NY) found junior Joshua Nelson (Providence, RI) in the back corner of the endzone for an 18-yard touchdown. Junior kicker Linnea D'Acchille (Valley Falls, NY) notched the extra-point for the Falcons.
Framingham added 21 points in the fourth quarter. Sophomore Austin Nunn (Bellingham, Mass.) and freshman Danny Marinaccio (Wakefield, Mass.) each had one-yard runs for touchdowns, while first-year Rosen Pierre (Brockton, Mass.) ran 22-yards for 56-7 final.
Inside the Numbers
- 35th meeting between the two teams on the gridiron with the Falcons 11-24-0 all-time when taking on the Rams.
- Fitchburg State was led by sophomore Steven Lawton (Ayer, Mass), who ran for 50 yards on 17 carries, while junior Fernando Santiago (Merrimack, NH) and Nelson combined for four catches, a touchdown and 61 yards receiving.
- For Framingham State, Wojenski completed 12-of-26 passes for 231 yards and two TD's, while freshman Devaun Ford (Mashpee, Mass.) added a game-best 139 yards on the ground and two scores.
- Defensively, junior defensive lineman Caleb Gonsalves (Mashpee, Mass.) paced the Falcons with a team-best eight stops on five solo tackles and three assisted stops, while junior defensive back Richard Austin (Wareham, Mass.) posted six tackles on four solo stops and two assisted tackle.
- For the Rams, junior linebacker Anthony Behonick (Rutland, Mass.) collected seven solo tackles, while sophomore Alex Militello (Gloucester, Mass.) and freshman Gregory Williams (Pawtucket, RI) each had an interception on the day.
The Falcons head to the Buccaneers of Massachusetts Maritime Academy next Saturday for a MASCSC kick-off at noon, while the Rams are at Plymouth State for a 1:00pm tilt on the same day.