Doss Notches Double-Double
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team notched their first home win of the season with a 90-79 full-team effort win over the visiting Cougars of Clark University in a non-conference match-up tonight at Parkinson gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 90, Clark University 79
Records: Fitchburg State (2-0) | Clark University (0-2)
How It Happened
Clark took a 13-6 lead early in the contest as junior Biko Gayman (Fort Pierce, Fla.) sparked the Cougars with five of their thirteen points finishing the run with a trey deep in the corner. Fitchburg responded, knotting the score at 20-20 on five straight point from senior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.). The Green and Gold took a double-digit lead (36-26) as senior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) cashed in from the charity stripe with 3:46 to play in the frame. The Cougars kept it close with a lay in from Gayman with 1:55 to play, however Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.) closed out the half with a pair of baskets to give the hosts a 45-31 lead.
Following intermission, Clark cut the deficit to 47-41 with a three-pointer from sophomore Sean Christy (Cumberland, RI) at the 16:43 mark. Senior Charles Doss (Fitchburg, Mass.) notched six points in less than a minute span to extend the Falcons advantage to 65-47 with twelve minutes to play. Clark countered with a 17-6 run capped by a fast-break score from Tyler Davern (Webster, Mass.) to make it a six point (75-69) game. The Falcons secured the first home win of the season outscoring the visitors (9-5) down the stretch, en-route to the 90-79 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fitchburg State was led by Tracy with a team-leading 24 points, seven boards, two steals, two blocks and 2 assists, while McKenzie added 20 points. Both Doss and sophomore Dominik Williams (Newark, NJ) added 11 points of the bench. Doss had a game-high 12 rebounds for the double-double.
- The Cougars were paced by Davern's game-high 27 points and six caroms, while Gayman finished with 20 points, four assists and four rebounds.
- Fitchburg State went 36-for-77 (46.8%) overall and (5-for-17) 29.4% from three point range.
- Clark shot 30-for-73 (41.1%) from the field and (9-of-34) 26.5% from beyond the arc.
- The Falcons held a 58-37 edge on the glass.
The Falcons will travel to the Bulldogs of Dean College on Saturday evening for a non-conference tilt starting at 6:00 PM. Clark will next play Me.-Presque Isle in the Herb Kenny Tip-Off on Friday evening at 8:00 PM.