Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Men's Basketball team suffered a tough 94-81 setback to the Anchormen of Rhode Island College this evening in non-conference action from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 81, Rhode Island College 94
Records: Fitchburg State (3-1) I RIC (3-0)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took an 8-4 edge on back-to-back buckets from senior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) before Rhode Island College countered with a pair of free throws from junior Keyshaun Jacobs (Lynn, Mass.) to cut the lead to 8-6.
The Anchormen would grab an 18-17 margin as Jacobs connected on a three ball. The Falcons responded with freshman Trevion Hinson (Tampa, Fla.) burying a three-points to put the Green and Gold up 24-18.
Fitchburg State upped its lead (32-24) on a Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) basket, but Rhode Island College answered back to knot the score at 32-32 when sophomore Deyshawn Tengbeth (East Providence, R.I.) hit a three-pointer. The Falcons broke a 38-38 stalemate with 44 seconds left in the half as freshman Xavier Betancourt (Tampa, Fla.) notched a layup to make the socre 40-38 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Rhode Island College regained the lead (43-42) on a three-ball from senior Jonathan Batista (Providence, R.I.). Fitchburg State countered as senior Jordan Jones (Worcester, Mass.) connected on a jumper for the 44-43 edge.
The Anchormen went on a 7-3 run to take a 54-51 advantage on a pair of free-throw by Batista before the Falcons battled back, taking a 57-54 margin on a layup from sophomore Devon Johnson (Washington, D.C.). The hosts extended their lead (66-60) as sophomore Dominik Williams (Newark, N.J.) hit a layup, but Rhode Island College retied the contest at 66-66 as senior Benjamin Vezele (Providence, R.I.) connected on a dunk.
The Green and Gold took the lead back (72-68) when Tracy hit a jumper. The visitors chipped away at the deficit to take a 73-72 edge as newcomer Shion Darby (Peekskill, N.Y.) made a jumper. The back and forth affair continued with Fitchburg State regaining the lead, 78-77 on a Tracy layup before the Anchormen took the lead back for good on a Vezele layup (81-78), en-route to the 94-81 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were paced by Tracy with a team-best 24 points, seven boards, two assists and one steal
- Johnson chipped in with ten points, four caroms, four assists and three steals for Fitchburg State
- Darby led the way for the Anchormen with a game-leading 26 points, five rebounds and six assists
- Jacobs added 21 points, seven caroms and three assists for Rhode Island College
- 30th meeting between the two teams on the basketball court with the Falcons 6-24 all-time vs the Anchormen
- Fitchburg State shot 36-for-81 (44.4%) from the field and (4-of-20) 20.0% from three point range
- Rhode Island College finished 33-of-71 (46.5%) overall and (9-for-22) 40.9% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a narrow 50-46 margin on the glass
Falcons return to action on Friday as they take on the Terriers of Thomas College in opening round action of the 2019 Amherst Tip-Off Tournament, starting at 8:00 PM. Anchormen will host the Blazers of Elms college on Thursday for a non-conference bout at 7:00 PM.