Murphy nets lone tally of the contest in MASCAC victory
Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State ice hockey team Lancers of Worcester State, 1-0 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Worcester Ice Arena.
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Worcester State 0
Records: Fitchburg State (6-2-1, 4-1-1 MASCAC) | Worcester State (4-5-1, 3-3-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Following a scoreless first period of play, Fitchburg State broke the 0-0 deadlock midway through the middle frame when sophomore Ryan Murphy (Wayzata, Minn.) collected a feed from classmate Jordin Holmes (Willow Grove, Penn.) and deposited a shot inside the near post for his team-leading sixth marker on the year for the 1-0 advantage.
In the third period, Worcester State nearly knotted the score with just under four minutes left in the stanza as sophomore Will Ahearn (Charlestown, Mass.) had his shot ring of the post to keep the score at 1-0 as the Falcons held on for the 1-0 triumph.
By the Numbers
- 66th meeting between the two squads with the Falcons 43-19-4 all-time vs the Lancers
- Worcester State finished with 40-28 margin in shots
- Fitchburg State went 0-for-4 with the man advantage
- Junior Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) stopped all 40 shots he faced for the Falcons
- Senior Josh Reinstein (Woodland Hills, Calif.) made 27 saves for the Lancers
Falcons are off until Friday, January 3rd, when they take on the Cardinals of Wesleyan University in opening round action of the 55th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament, hosted by UMass Boston at 4:00 PM. Lancers will travel to Stonehill College on Tuesday for a non-conference tilt at 7:10 PM.