DePina collects lone goal for Fitchburg State in MASCAC setback
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's soccer team dropped a 7-1 decision to the Rams of Framingham State in MASCAC (Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference) action at Elliot Field this afternoon.
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Framingham State 7
Records: Fitchburg State (2-3-1, 0-1-0 MASCAC) | Framingham State (3-4, 1-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
The Rams collected the first goal of the game for the early lead nine minutes in. Senior Isaac De Sousza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) tucked a pass inside the left goal post from freshman Gustavo Cassemiro (Minas Gerais, Brazil) for his third goal of the season.
The visitors doubled the lead (2-0) at the 15 minute mark. Off a Framingham corner, sophomore Odane Scale (Galtegobay, Jamaica) headed in a cross from freshman Cassemiro for his first goal of the season.
Framingham added another goal before the break off the boot of Kyeyune to hold a 3-0 advantage at halftime.
Following the intermission, the Rams extended their lead in the 52nd minute of action as freshman Dante Mancini (Hopedale, Mass.) collected a loose ball from ten yards out and connected on his first collegiate marker for the 4-0 advantage.
The visitors tacked on an insurance tally minutes later with senior Bryce Nardizzi (Framingham, Mass.) receiving a feed from sophomore Nahuel Algibay (Montevideo, Uruguay). Fitchburg State broke its scoring silence at the 84:22 mark as junior Yannick DePina (Boston, Mass. found the back of the net off an assist from newcomer Joshua Atemkeng (Peabody, Mass.), resulting in the 7-1 final.
Inside the Numbers
- This afternoon's contest will mark the 42nd meeting between the two squads on the pitch with the Falcons 27-13-2 all-time vs the Rams
- Framingham State held a 27-10 margin in shots, while also finishing with a 7-5 edge in corner kicks
- Junior Branton Abbett (Jasper, Ind.) stopped three shots for the Falcons in the setback
- Senior Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.) made three saves for the Rams in the victory
- Mancini netted his first collegiate tally for Framingham State
Falcons will host UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday (9/25) for a non-conference matchup starting at 7:00 PM. Framingham with host Pine Manor on Tuesday (9/25) for a non-conference tilt at 4:00 PM.