Notch 9-2 triumph over La Roche in opener; Collect 9-0 shutout victory against Clarks Summit in nightcap
Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Fitchburg State University softball earned a sweep on their third day of the Fast Pitch Dreams Classic in Myrtly Beach, S.C. today as the Falcons defeated the Redhawks of La Roche College in the opener before registering a 9-0 shutout victory over the Defenders of Clarks Summit College in their second contest of the day.
Score: Fitchburg State 9, La Roche 2 (Game One)
Records: Fitchburg State (3-2) | La Roche (0-5)
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Clarks Summit 0 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (4-2) | Clarks Summit (0-4)
How It Happened
In game one, trailing 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth, Fitchburg State scored six runs as senior Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.) plated classmate Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.) and freshman Morgan Cormier (Leominster, Mass.) with a two-run double to right center before senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) and newcomer Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) added RBI's in the frame for the 7-2 advantage.
The Falcons upped their margin in the bottom half of the sixth with freshman Olivia Pietersen (Norton, Mass.) doubling home senior Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfolk, Mass.), while LeBlanc would later drive in Pietersen with single through the left side, resulting in the 9-2 final.
In game two, Fitchburg State grabbed a 2-0 edge in the bottom of the first as Pietersen singled home Forcier before Sylvester crossed the plated on a wild pitch one batter later.
The Falcons broke the game open in the bottom half of the third, scoring seven runs with freshman Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) notching a base hit up the middle to plate Sylvester and Cormier then proceeded to rip a two-run triple to right center that scored Johnson and Pietersen.
Inside the Numbers
- First ever meeting with the Falcons 1-0 vs the Redhawks
- Pietersen sparked Fitchburg State's offense in first game, going 3-for-4 with a double, triple, one run scored and two RBI.
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) picked up her second win on the season for the Falcons, giving up two runs on five hits with one strikeout in five innings of work
- First ever meeting with the Falcons 1-0 vs the Defenders
- Keenan led the way for Fitchburg State in the nightcap, going 2-for-2 with a run scored and an RBI
- Campbell notched her second win on the year, going four innings, allowing just one hit with two K's for the Green and Gold
Falcons return to action on Thursday as they take on Greenville and Lycoming in day four action of the Fast Pitch Dreams Classic at 9:30 AM and 1:30 PM.