LeBlanc and Lambert collect one home run each for Green and Gold
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University softball team dropped a pair of contests to the Owls of Westfield State University, 13-12/5-4 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at the Donna Lee Withington Memorial Softball Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 12, Westfield State 13 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 4, Westfield State 5 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (19-13, 5-5 MASCAC) I Westfield State (9-17, 6-4 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State grabbed a 9-0 advantage in the bottom of the second as senior Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.) notched a two-run double, while junior McKenzie Lambert (Wilbraham, Mass.) added a two run home run over the right field fence.
The Falcons extended their margin (11-4) in the third when LeBlanc blasted a solo shot to left center and newcomer Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, Conn.) registered a run scoring down the left field line.
Westfield State answered back in the top of the sixth with senior Kayla Soucie (North Easton, Mass.) launching a three run homer to right before classmate Caitlin Hughes (Hanson, Mass.) plated senior Bri Tortora (Worcester, Mass.) with an RBI single to make the score 12-10.
The Owls pushed across another three runs in the top of the seventh as Tortora collected an RBI base knock, while senior Maddie Keigwin (Sutton, Mass.) followed with a two-run single to right, resulting in the 13-12 final.
Westfield State grabbed a 1-0 margin in the top of the first as Hughes singled down the left field line to bring in Keigwin before Fitchburg State knotted the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the third when Lambert tallied a sacrifice fly to score senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.).
The Owls regained the lead in the fourth frame on a two-run double by sophomore Sarah Meunier (Deerfield, Mass.) and single from Tortora for the 4-1 edge. Westfield State would upped their lead (5-1) in the sixth when sophomore Jackie Reynolds (Middleborough, Mass.) drew a bases loaded walk.
Fitchburg State would tack on two more runs in the bottom of the seventh on RBI singles by freshman Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) and Luker, but the Owls would induce a game ending groundout to following hitter, resultin in the 5-4 final.
Inside the Numbers
- 74th meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 24-60 vs the Owls
- LeBlanc went 2-for-5 with a double, home run, two runs scored and three RBI for the Falcons
- Tortora finished 3-for-5 with a double, four runs scored and three RBI for the Owls
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) took the loss for Fitchburg State, giving up 10 runs (five earned) on 11 hits with one K in 6.2 innings of work
- Kara Fluet (Worcester, Mass.) earned the win for Westfield State, yielding three runs on nine hits with one strike out in 5.1 innings of relief
- Lambert hit 2-for-2 with a double, one run scored and one RBI for Fitchburg State
- Hughes collected two hits and one RBI for Westfield State
- Hayley O'Brien (Lynnfield, Mass.) suffered the setback for the Falcons, allowing three runs on five hits with one K in three innings of work
- Emily Woodworth (Marlborough, Mass.) picked up the win for the Owls, giving up four runs on 11 hits with three strikeouts in the complete game effort
Falcons will host the Raiders of Rivier University tomorrow for a non-conference double header, starting at 3:30 PM. Owls will travel to Springfield College tomorrow for a non-conference twin bill at 3:30 PM.