New London, N.H. – The Fitchburg State Women's Basketball returned to action this evening as the Falcons dropped a 68-45 decision to the Chargers of Colby-Sawyer College in opening round action of the 2019 Colby-Sawyer Tip-Off Tournament from the David L. Coffin Field House.
Score: Fitchburg State 45, Colby-Sawyer 68
Records: Fitchburg State (0-3) | Colby-Sawyer (2-0)
How It Happened
Colby-Sawyer took a 4-0 margin to start the contest on buckets from seniors Lexie Hamilton (Sunapee, N.H.) and Tianna Sugars (Oxford, Maine) before Fitchburg State answered with a jumper by senior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.). The Chargers went on a 15-4 run, capped by a Hamilton layup for the 19-4 margin, but junior Mishelle Logie (Attleboro, Mass.) responded with a jumper from the top of the key to cut the deficit to 19-8.
Fitchburg State chipped the lead to 26-19 as Marazzi and senior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) buried three-pointers. Colby-Sawyer would upped its margin to 32-19 with Hamilton connecting on a bucket before Marazzi hit a jumper to close out the half to make the score 32-21 going into the break.
Following the intermission, the Charges extended their lead (38-21) on a pair of free-throws by freshman Caitlyn Boucher (Swanzey, N.H.). The Green and Gold answered with a pair of bucket from Marazzi and a Lindsay McDonald (Stoughton, Mass.) basket to cut the deficit to 41-26, but a Boucher layup made the score 53-28 in favor of the hosts.
Fitchburg State continued to battle as Marazzi converted an and one, while senior Allysa Rivera (Chelsea, Mass.) knocked down back-to-back three balls (66-40). Colby-Sawyer secured the victory however as newcomer Sydney Noyes (Newbury, Mass.) sank two from the charity stripe, resulting in the 68-45 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a game-best 22 points, four rebounds and one assist
- McDonald chipped in with seven points, four caroms and one assist for Fitchburg State
- For the Chargers, junior Joslin Wainwright (Plainfield, N.H.) led the way with 15 points
- Sugars added a double-double of 13 points and ten rebounds for Colby-Sawyer
- Fourth meeting between two schools with Falcons 1-3 all-time vs the Chargers
- Fitchburg State shot 17-of-56 (30.4%) from the field and (5-for-24) 20.8% from three point range
- Colby-Sawyer finished 25-of-61 (41.0%) overall and (2-for-18) 11.1% for beyond the arc
- Chargers held a 47-30 margin on the glass
Falcons return to action tomorrow as they take on the either the Saints of St. Lawrence University or the Mules of Colby College in the consolation game of the 2019 Colby-Sawyer College Tip-Off Tournament at 2:00 PM.. Chargers will host the winner of the St. Lawrence/Colby matchup in the Championship game of the 2019 Colby-Sawyer Tip-Off Tournament at 4:00 PM.