New London, N.H. – The Fitchburg State Women's Basketball returned to dropped a 73-41 decision to the Mules of Colby College this afternoon in the consolation round of the 2019 Colby-Sawyer Tip-Off tournament at the David L Coffin Field House in non-conference action.
Score: Fitchburg State 41, Colby College 73
Records: Fitchburg State (0-4) | Colby (1-1)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring with senior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) hitting a jumper before Colby went on a 13-3 run, capped by an Alisha Aube (Westbrook, Maine) bucket. The Falcons cut the lead to 13-7 as sophomore Jadelen Harold (Nantucket, Mass.) connected on a basket.
The Green and Gold chipped the lead to 13-9 with Harold and senior Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) hitting layups, but the Mules upped their margin (24-16) on a three pointer from Brooke Guiffre (Wellesley, Mass.). Fitchburg State countered with a three ball by senior Emma Thomson (York, Maine). Colby responded with seven straight points to close out the half though for the 31-19 advantage going into the break.
Following the intermission, both teams traded bucket as Guiffre hit the basket for the Mules, while Marazzi notched the Falcons bucket (36-24). Junior Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) drained a three pointer for Fitchburg State to cut the lead to 38-29 before Colby upped its margin to 51-30 on a Jane Mackeroon (New York, N.Y.) basket.
Colby grabbed a 60-33 edge on a three pointer from Giffre before Fitchburg State countered on a Holmes three ball (60-36). Sophomore Keagan Dunbar (Middlebury, Vt.) put the Mules up 71-39, while Holmes capped the scoring in the contest for the Falcons with layup at the buzzer, resulting in the 73-41 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a team-leading 14 points, three boards and one assist
- Holmes chipped with eight points, two caroms and one steal for Fitchburg State
- For the Mules, Guiffre led all scorers with 15 points, five rebounds and three assists
- Aube added 11 points and three boards for Colby
- First ever meeting between the two teams on the basketball court
- Fitchburg State shot 16-of-64 (25.0%) from the field and (6-for-25) 24.0% from three point range
- Colby finished 26-of-62 (41.9%) overall and (11-for-27) 40.7% for beyond the arc
- Mules held a slim 48-43 margin on the glass
Falcons return to action on Tuesday as they travel to Curry College to take on the Colonels for a non-conference matchup, starting at 5:30 PM. Mules will visit Maine Maritime on the same date for a non-conference tilt at 7:00 PM.