Westfield, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Men's Basketball team dropped a 88-71 decision to the Owls of Westfield State this evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action from the Woodward Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 71, Westfield State 88
Fitchburg State (7-9, 1-2 MASCAC) I Westfield State (10-6, 2-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the contest with a 7-5 edge on a Charles Doss (Fitchburg, Mass.) layup and free throw from freshman Xavier Betancourt (Tampa, Fla.) before Westfield State grabbed the 16-13 advantage as senior Jauch Green, Jr (Hartford, Conn.) registered a bucket.
The Owls went on an 8-0 run to extend their lead to 35-16 on a Marcus Collins (Cambridge, Mass.) bucket, but the Falcons responded with a pair of free throws by freshman Trevian Hinson (Tampa, Fla.) to cut the deficit to 35-18.
Fitchburg State answered back (40-24) as Hinson and newcomer Toskany Abreu (Beverly, Mass.) notched buckets. Westfield State would up their lead to 47-29 on a Green, Jr layup, while the Green and Gold chipped the deficit to 47-33 going into the break as Betancourt and sophomore Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.) sank two free throws each.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State chipped into the lead as McKenzie netted a free throw and a layup, while Hinson added a basket (52-40) before Westfield State countered with a bucket by senior Vawn Lord (Amherst, Mass.) for the 54-40 advantage.
The Owls then went on a 10-0 stretch, capped by a Green, Jr layup to make the score 67-46. The Falcons responded with Betancourt converting a basket and a free throw to cut the deficit to 71-51, but the hosts secured the victory as Lord notched a jumper, resulting in the 88-71 final
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were paced by Betancourt with a team-leading 18 points, five rebounds, one assist and three steals
- McKenzie added 17 points and seven boards for Fitchburg State
- Green, Jr, led the way for the Owls with 27 points, seven caroms, two assists and one steal
- Lord chipped in with 25 points, 13 rebounds, one assist and one block for Westfield State
- 115th meeting between Fitchburg State and Westfield State on the court with the Falcons 29-86 all-time vs. the Owls
- Fitchburg State shot 22-for-69 (31.9%) from the field and (5-of-18) 27.8% from three point range
- Westfield State finished 34-of-70 (48.6%) overall and (4-for-16) 25.0% for beyond the arc
- Owls held a narrow 58-36 margin on the boards
Falcons will host the Bears of Bridgewater State on Wednesday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 7:30 PM. Owls will host the Bears of Bridgewater State on Saturday for a conference tilt at 3:00 PM.